about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: colorful tree plush

Colorful Tree Plush


The other day I was watching my little brother play Mario Kart, and I spotted something cute. (I love it when video games are cute!) Trees made with scallops in varying shades of green. I thought, how fun would it be to make something like that...as a little stuffed guy?! So I set to work making a simple pattern for a two-dimensional tree with scallops of varying colors. He's a little wonky, but I rather like him!

Colorful Tree Plush

You can make one too! Here's what you need:

Fabric in 3 colors, plus brown (Since it's autumn, I chose red orange and yellow)
Embroidery floss
Stuffing

Scissors
Needle
Pins
Colorful Tree pattern PDF

Colorful Tree Plush

Cut out two of each pattern piece. These are not symmetrical, so it's easiest if you cut two layers with wrong sides together.

If you're going to add a face, you may want your lightest shade to be the bottom layer of scalloped leaves. Stitch the face on only one of the bottom pieces for the front.

Colorful Tree Plush

Working from the bottom to the top, layer the pieces, and with running stitch, sew the overlapping areas.

You can overlap the layers as much or as little as you want, as long as there is room to stitch. Here's how the back of mine looks:

Colorful Tree Plush
Colorful Tree Plush

Note that when stitching the bottom layer to the trunk, you'll only sew the middle scallop.

Colorful Tree Plush

It's really important that when you make the second side of the tree, the layers need to overlap the exact same amount. Use the first side as a guide for spacing.

Colorful Tree Plush

Pin the front and back together, right sides out, and sew along the outside, leaving the bottom open for stuffing.

Stuff the tree and stitch it closed!

Colorful Tree Plush

Leaning up against a wall or window, it stands pretty well on its own. I thought about getting fancy and adding a flat bottom, but decided to keep it simple for my first tree. I might need to make more, and in different styles...hmmm...

For now, I'll enjoy this happy little tree and its ever-colorful foliage!

UPDATE: I just discovered that today would have been Bob Ross' birthday...he's the king of happy little trees!

11 comments:

  1. Such a great "pillow tree" ;) and here is my interpretation of the theme ;) ---> http://achcozablog.blogspot.com/2012/09/poduszka-drzewo.html
    ach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:01 AM

    You could do this in green, and more triangular as a christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww it's so cute! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo so very awesome, Mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so freaking cute! I love the colors and patterns you picked, and also loved how you shared a little bit of the inspiration. I always wonder how you plush makers come up with your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so adorable Mollie!! Your creations are always the sweetest! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project! I'm looking forward to using it throughout the seasons :)

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!