about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

book review // cuter stuff by aranzi aronzo

book review // cuter stuff

If you saw a book that claimed to have Cute Stuff in it, you'd want to look, right? What if it declared that it was filled with Cuter Stuff? Well, you'd pick up that book, find that it was indeed super cute, and then you'd buy it. Full price. This is what happened when I spotted this Aranzi Aronzo book at Barnes & Noble the other day.

A few years back, I picked up the Japanese version of Cute Stuff (before it was translated), and loved it. The sequel to this title is similar to the first and both are true to their names.

book review // cuter stuff
book review // cuter stuff

Each item in the book has a photo, or sometimes several photos, but all of the instructions are illustrated. This was a huge inspiration to me when working on my own book, but I don't think anyone could do it better than the Aranzi Aronzo books. The projects and motifs are cute, but so is the whole process!

Along with the project photos throughout the book, at the back there is a gallery of pictures showing some most of them in use. I love that they are often modeled by stuffed animals designed by the authors!

book review // cuter stuff

And here's a better look at the illustrations. These are from the basics section. Sewing instructions from bunnies? Yes please! This is a good example of why buying the Japanese version of Cute Stuff worked for me. I can't read Japanese, but the illustrations explain so much. A picture is worth 1000 words, right?

book review // cuter stuff

The projects range from magnets to pencil holders to coasters and more, most of which have a useful quality to them. This doggy is just cute, and I'm good with that. I think my sister and I might make one to play with her American Girl dolls.

book review // cuter stuff

Some projects are rather simple, for example, I didn't need a book to show me how to add faces to fruits and vegetables. But you can bet that I'm crazy for this page. Seriously...things are better with faces.

book review // cuter stuff

One thing I really appreciate in Cuter Stuff is that you don't absolutely need a sewing machine. They tell you when you can use one, but nearly everything works with hand sewing. Even a panda zipper pouch!

book review // cuter stuff

Most projects have a distinct Aranzi Aronzo style to them, but a few feel more generic. They are all still super cute, and I'm looking forward to making these felt flowers. Speaking of felt, that is the most common material you'll use for the Cuter Stuff in this book. Love that!

book review // cuter stuff
book review // cuter stuff

Working with felt is one of my favorite materials, and seeing easy ways to work with it is good for me. There are several projects that use the collection of felt applique motifs in the book, including hiragana. Just seeing these kinds of ideas is helpful, because it will get you thinking about new ways to use favorite patterns.

Cuter Stuff by Aranzi Aronzo is simple and good for kids or beginners, as well as for those who just need a dose of cute inspiration. Look for it at your local bookseller or at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

4 comments:

  1. I have stitched just about all of the critters offered in Aronzi Aronzo's "The Cute Book." I will add "Cuter Stuff" to my Christmas wish list. Thank you for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered Aronzo when my 9 year old granddaughter was a baby. I loved stitching up little "felties" for her to play with. As she grew and my stack of his books grew she would choose things for Grandmama to make and help me with them. Then she outgrew them. Well she has a little sister who was born on Mother's Day. I think Grandmama has a new book to buy and new stitching to come up. Thank you Mollie for alerting me to the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THERE'S A KAPPA!!! You know I'm gonna be all over that! I can't wait to pick up a copy of this book. Everything in it is SO CUTE!! I love it! You always find the best stuff, Mollie!! Thanks so much for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't a kappa project in the book (sad face), but I think Aranzi Aronzo does make other kappa items!

      Delete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!